Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Speed Traps

I am still basking in the epic Sunday that God gave us for Easter. The final count that I received was 873! That is a record attendance for only two services! Way to go God and way to go Fellowship!

As I was taking Grace home yesterday I saw three highway patrol cars on the side of the road “waiting.” As I drove a little further and started to get off at my exit I saw where two other highway patrol cars had pulled people over. I dropped Grace off at the house and headed back to the office. On my way I looked at the state police cars and felt some mild sympathy for the people who got caught. As I drove past the “speed trap” I began to look for the “spotter” car. There it was at the next overpass tucked back where you could barely notice it. I guarantee I’ll be checking out that overpass for the next couple of weeks!

Peter told us to be on guard and to watch out for our adversary, the devil. He sets traps for us all the time. Peter knew that seeing warfare for what it is can be half the battle sometimes. Yesterday ended up being that kind of day for me. Spiritual warfare extraordinaire. The problem was that I didn’t see it for what it was at first. It just pulled me in. Warfare is much clearer in your rear-view mirror. I haven’t had a day quite like that in some time. By about 10:30 last night I was getting into one of those “I quit” modes that happens to pastors much more than most will admit. My first 4 years as a pastor I had those days at least once a week. Now they are more rare but this one came with a vengeance.

The timing wasn’t lost on me with Easter barely over. It is the nature of the beast. I’m glad for some good friends in Florida, New York, and Texas that helped me through. I share this with you as always to bring you into my crazy world but to also remind you of Peter’s warning. Where are you struggling right now? What relationships are out of whack? What traps are you about to step in? See the warfare for what it is and put up your guard.

3 comments:

Raysheeth said...

John-sorry that we gave you such a rotten day and I would be devastated if you quit as everything you have taught me so far has helped me get so much closer to God. I had that chat we spoke about and apologized to my daughter for the spot I placed her in and pray that you and she will forgive me! I love you both and left your office more encouraged than I have been in quite some time. I know what it is like not just to want to quit but to actually give in to that feeling...know that it is never my intention to hurt you and I love you and all that you go through for your flock! I am praying for you in a much different way now than before our meeting and for all of our staff-y'all rock and I am praying for His protection, love and grace to surround you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bro! I read it was your birthday over on Jeff's blog. God is using you in amazing ways at Fellowship! I pray that God would use the second half of your life in even greater ways than the first. It's a true blessing to call you friend. - Mike

Kathleen said...

John,
On behalf of all of us who stopped praying AFTER the Easter service I apologize. I know a lot of us were spending hours in prayer last week but I also have to admit I let up after Sunday services. What a mistake!! After such a terrific service and so many people saved - we should have had your back a little better this week. Love you my Brother. We'll do better next time - kph