Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Big Day

This is a big day for the Cremeans family. Allison Nicole Cremeans turns eighteen years old today. Unbelievable! I love all my kids deeply but today is Alli’s day and I want to brag on her. She is my pride and my joy. I call her my “honey-bunny”. Even at 18 the “little girl” in her smiles through when she hears me call her by her “special name.” Some of you might not get this part but it is all good either way because she is Daddy’s girl. For the record…Emily is my “princess” and Gracie is my “angel”.
One of the things that makes Alli so endearing to me is all of our marriage junk she has had to live through. God has been so good to Michelle and I to say the least, but I can think of two distinct seasons where we were in a crisis and detached mode…maybe a better term would be the survival mode. There wasn’t a lot of emotional energy left over at times. I remember when Alli was about 4 years old and Michelle and I were going through a 9-month separation. We would take turns like divorced people do at spending quality time with Alli. As personally devastating as that season was for me I will always treasure my time with Alli. I would pick her up late in the evening after I got off work and we would make a taco bell run and head home to watch David Letterman. The next morning we would make waffles and then go swimming.
One of the tragedies of marriage struggles is that our kids suffer. One of the blessings of God is that his grace can cover so much. The joy that that little 4 year old injected into my life while I tried so desperately to grow up and be at least part of the man God wanted me to be, will never leave me. I can still see her chubby cheeks and her squinty eyes (the eyes were due in part to my limited hair dressing skills – I am told that I pulled her pony tail way too tight) and the giggle in her voice. It puts a lump in my throat as I write this. I hate it that she had to go through that.
I love Alli’s smile and I love her heart. I saw her grow up in Russia as she learned for the first time that God could use her to make a difference in the lives of children. She has been making a difference ever since. I got to watch her sing with Donny at Fusion last week while Emily played the guitar. I am glad to see her finishing up her youth group days strong! I love watching her working at guest services, seeing her smile, joking with Shari, helping and greeting newcomers. I love taking her out on dates.
I love her loving her God. One thing I have tried to drive home to her is that if statistics hold true she will spend more time on this earth with her heavenly Father than her earthly Father. He will love her and never fail her. Pray for Alli as she searches for what to do next in her life. I think I would love to have her end up in the “family business” at some point but that is in God’s hand.

Alli, I am so proud of you honey. I couldn’t imagine having anyone but you to be my introduction to being a Daddy. I will always love and support you in whatever endeavor God has for you. Keep dreaming big dreams Alli. I believe that God will use you in a way that goes far beyond what your mom and I have done. I believe in you…I think you are beautiful and I am moved by your spirit…and I see God’s hand all over you. Remember, you are God’s masterpiece that is still being completed. You have done it…EIGHTEEN YEARS! Can you believe it? You are on your way baby. Give your best for your master because he gave everything for you.

5 comments:

Betty said...

Happy Birthday Alli! Wishing you a great day for your birthday!

Oh my goodness, John, you are getting older (this means you are already old)! Side note: this does not apply to Michelle! Don't even try and get me in trouble.

I hope you all have a great day!
Betty

John Cremeans said...

Tell me about it!

Anonymous said...

Congratualtions John on having such a beautiful and wonderful and Godly young woman as your daughter (though I am quite fond of the other two as well)! Brian and I can't wait to welcome her to Common Ground this summer! Happy Birthday Alli!

John Cremeans said...

Thanks Kathleen. Common Ground sounds so old for her...I really am getting old.

Anonymous said...

if you want, we can lock the doors and pretend we're not home...of course, the fifteen cars in front of my house might be a dead giveaway...